North Rim Intermediate Basecamp
Come see what Grand Canyon's North Rim has to discover on this multi-day hike.
- Dates: June 15–18, 2024
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Trip Length: 4 Days
- Cost: $950
- Group size: 11
North Rim Magic!
Our intermediate basecamp program is designed to keep the excitement flowing while offering a bit more elevation change than our beginner basecamp. Prepare to dip below the rim during some of our hikes, adding an extra dose of adventure to your experience.
This program strikes the perfect balance between reward and excitement, providing just the right amount of physical challenge. Get ready to embark on thrilling hikes that will take you to some of the most remote and awe-inspiring locations on the North Rim.
With breathtaking vistas and hidden gems awaiting your discovery, our intermediate basecamp program promises an unforgettable journey. It's time to unleash your inner adventurer and explore the untamed wonders that await you!
- Discover the fascinating concept of "sky islands" in the desert Southwest, learning about their unique ecological significance.
- Immerse yourself in a rich tapestry of knowledge, exploring diverse topics such as geology, pioneer and Native American history, archaeology, biotic life zones, and the importance of fire in maintaining a healthy ecosystem.
- Embark on a journey to remarkable locations that will take your breath away, including Cape Final, Cliff Springs, Bright Angel Point, and Point Imperial—the highest rim point in the entire park.
- Indulge in awe-inspiring vistas and witness the world-famous North Kaibab Trail, offering a stunning view that will leave you mesmerized by the grandeur of the canyon.
- Dive deep into the cultural and natural heritage of the region, uncovering the stories and secrets hidden within the North Rim's majestic landscapes.
- Engage with knowledgeable guides who will provide fascinating insights into the history, geology, and wildlife that make this region truly exceptional.
- Immerse yourself in a sensory experience, surrounded by breathtaking panoramas, captivating narratives, and the vibrant tapestry of life found within the North Rim.
- Create memories that will last a lifetime as you explore the intersection of natural wonders and human history in this extraordinary journey.
Price for the class includes:
Our expert instructor.
Daily hikes/learning geology, ecology, and history of the canyon.
Camping on the Rim at the North Rim Campground. We can only support tents or vans. No RVs or trailers.
Transportation to various hiking locations during class.
Park entrance fee waiver.
What's not included
You are responsible for:
All of your day hiking and camping equipment (if choosing to stay at the North Rim Campground).
Transportation to and from the North Rim of Grand Canyon.
Guide gratuity (industry recommendation 15-20% of trip cost, read this article to receive more guidance).
Participants will be driven to the various hiking locations on paved and gravel roads.
Age Restrictions: Participants must be 17+ years older for this backpacking program
Please notify our office as soon as possible should you need to cancel your registration. If you cancel or leave a trip for any reason:
- 60+ days of program start date: full refund, minus a $100 administrative fee will be issued
- 59 - 45 days prior start date: 50% refund will be issued
- Less than 45 days to start date, or once trip has begun: we will retain your entire program fee with no exceptions.
Reserved spots are non-transferable to different programs. However, you may substitute members of your party, specific to the trip date with GCCFI approval, with no penalty, up to 30 days prior to departure date.
GCCFI reserves the right to cancel all, or a portion, of a trip for circumstance beyond our control. Circumstances might include, but are not limited to—public land closures, road closures, weather events, fires, or other natural events. Refunds are not offered in these situations. A full trip credit will be issued, minus any non-refundable expenses occurred by GCCFI if the program is cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control. GCCFI staff will work to change itinerary to another trail or move hiking locations to a safer area.
We reserve the right to cancel any trip if sign-up is inadequate to make the trip economically feasible for us to operate. In this event, we will give a full refund of the trip price.
GCCFI is not responsible for: air tickets, visa fees if applicable, gear, medical expenses, clothing, and any expenses occurred while preparing for this trip.
We HIGHLY encourage the purchase of trip insurance to help offset any costs incurred if cancellation occurs
The Zelkovic Family
“Our day with the Field Institute exceeded all our expectations and we came away with a great respect for the canyon and for the work of the Conservancy. It was such a wonderful experience from beginning to end and hope we can return in the not so distant future to participate in one of your multi-day programs.”
“Our family’s experience was nothing short of amazing! Slim (our guide) provided a perspective we would have never been able to get on our own and we learned so much. Her passion for the canyon and what she does came through too, which made our time something we’ll never forget!”
“The guides were awesome – so educational and patient!!! Encouraging & helpful in every way. Such an amazing first visit to the canyon – Life changing to have experienced the GC up close & personal… Thank you so much!”
“I've brought many school groups to the Field Institute and the quality of instruction provides them with an understanding of Indigenous cultures, diverse ecology, and geologic history. Students leave with a stronger sense of self-confidence, an intimate connection to nature, and memories that will last a lifetime.”
“Top to bottom, the Field Institute exceeded all of my expectations .... they ensured we packed wisely for our trip and saved me from lugging around 5 lbs. of junk I didn't need. Overall, it's packed with value that I don't think commercial outfitters would provide and delivered a deeply rich experience.”