Grand Canyon Conservancy Founder, Eddie McKee.
Photo courtesy Grand Canyon NPS, 1934.
Grand Canyon Conservancy was founded in 1932 as the Grand Canyon Natural History Association by naturalist Edwin “Eddie” McKee. A ranger working on the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park, McKee saw the need for a park partner that would support interpretive programs and publications about the canyon, and from its beginnings the natural history association did just that, funding interpretive talks, research, and scientific papers.
In October 1994, Grand Canyon Natural History Association changed its name to Grand Canyon Association, emphasizing an expanding list of services outside the realm of “natural history.”
Today, Grand Canyon Conservancy still serves its founding mission—and much more. Membership, book publishing, educational programming, philanthropy programs, and more retail locations were added over the years. Each year, Grand Canyon Conservancy provides millions of dollars and countless service hours to support the priorities of Grand Canyon National Park.
Grand Canyon Conservancy is the official nonprofit partner of Grand Canyon National Park, raising private funds, operating retail shops within the park, and providing premier educational programs about the natural and cultural history of the region. Our donors fund projects including trails and historic building preservation, educational programs for the public, and the protection of wildlife and their natural habitat.
Inspire people to protect and enhance Grand Canyon National Park for present and future generations.
Support Grand Canyon National Park in its goal to provide enriching and fulfilling visitor experiences and protecting the park for future generations. We will achieve this by establishing a continuous and growing funding stream, providing enhanced educational experiences, and engaging advocates for the park.