Skip to content
North Rim, Wilderness Trail

Thunder River Trail / Deer Creek Trail

Thunder River, Tapeats Spring, and Deer Spring have attracted people since prehistoric times, and today, this little corner of Grand Canyon is exceedingly popular among seekers of the remarkable.

Thunder River/Deer Creek

Trail Details

Rumors of placer gold drew miners into the area in 1876. They constructed the upper portions of the trail, used by geologist Clarence Dutton several years later. Crews built the present trail into Tapeats Creek in 1926. Thunder River, one of the world’s shortest rivers, flows for only 0.5 mile (0.8 km) before entering Tapeats Creek.

Thunder River Deer Creek Trails map 2017

Trail Guide

To find specific trailhead locations and view topography, check out the official National Park Service guide.

Image Gallery